I am a research fellow in the Disaster Analytics for Society Lab at the Asian School of the Environment (ASE) at Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore. I am currently working on a framework to explore impacts from extreme and unexpected natural hazards, though broadly I am interested in disaster science, interdisciplinary research, and STEM education. Throughout my academic career, I have worn many hats in various fields of application: renewable energy, earthquake engineering, seakeeping and stability in the Arctic, and now natural hazards and urban scale risk modelling. Underpinning all of these applications are an appreciation of complex systems, data science, sensitivity analysis, uncertainty quantification, and scientific communication. For more information on this and other past projects, check out my research page.
I believe in intentional teaching and active learning in order to prepare the most capable scientists and engineers of the future, and have sought after the opportunity to teach as much as possible along the way, both within the university and also at local K-12 schools. You can find more about the courses I have been involved with at my teaching page.
Along with research and teaching, I am an active member of my academic, local, and professional communities. Most currently, at NTU, I founded the Postdoc Professional Development Q&A Series to support the ASE postdoc community in their academic job search. Please visit my service page to read more about what I'm doing, and have done, to support the academic, professional, and social dimensions of students and postdocs through my years in academia.
In the rest of my time, I enjoy traveling, cooking, being outside (running, biking, climbing, backpacking), reading, and exercising the creative half of my brain.
Looking to connect? Find out how!
2018: Cornell University, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, PhD in Structural Engineering.
2014: University of Colorado Boulder, Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering, MS in Structural Engineering.
2011: Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth College, BE in Mechanical Engineering.
2011: Dartmouth College, AB in Engineering Sciences and Asian Studies.
- 2018 - present: Research Fellow at Nanyang Technological University's Asian School of the Environment in Singapore.
- 2014 - 2018: Research Assistant at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY.
- 2012 - 2014: Research Assistant at University of Colorado Boulder in Boulder, CO.
- Summer 2013: Structural Intern at Hinman Consulting Engineers in San Francisco, CA.
- 2011 - 2012: Energy Analyst at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, CO.
- Summer 2010: Intern at Northrup Grumman in El Segunda, CA.
- Winter 2009: Intern at Advanced Transit Dynamics, Inc. South San Francisco, CA
awards and honors
- Cornell University: Graduate School Fellowship (2014-2015), GRASSHOPR Teaching Fellow (2018), AAAS CASE Workshop Cornell Representative (2018)
- University of Michigan: NextProf Fall Workshop Participant (2017)
- University of Colorado: Dean’s Graduate Assistantship for First-Year Students (2012-2013)
- Dartmouth College: Elizabeth (Libby) Meyers Brakeley ’81 Memorial Endowed Scholar (2009-2011), Departmental High Honors in Engineering Sciences (2011), Brieanna S. Weinstein Engineering Design Prize (2011)
membership, skills, training, and certifications
- Certification: EIT (NH, Spring 2011)
- Languages/software: R, MATLAB, Python, ADINA, SAP2000, LaTeX, STELLA, MS Office
- Professional membership: EERI, EGU, AGU, AOGS
- Training: EERI LFE Travel Study in New Zealand (May 2019), Coleman Leadership Program at Cornell University (2018)